Administrative Assistant, Humanities and Creative Arts
(12 month Parental Leave Appointment - 33 hrs per week)Avondale College Discipline of Humanities and Creative Arts is looking to engage a person with excellent interpersonal, organisational and computer skills.
Reports to: Faculty Officer
Applications close 31 March 2017.
Applications, addressing the selection criteria, with contact details of at least three referees, should be e-mailed to email@example.com or HR Officer, Avondale College, PO Box 19, Cooranbong NSW 2265, (02) 4980 2284.
Further information may be obtained by contacting Margaret House on 02 49802194.
Avondale College is an equal opportunity employer and reserves the right to make a delayed appointment, not to appoint, or to appoint by invitation.
Position PurposeThe Faculty Administrative Assistant will provide general administrative support for the entire Faculty. This position is one of substantial responsibility and independent initiative, requiring knowledge of the office procedures of the Faculty. The Faculty Administrative Assistant works under the supervision of the Faculty Officer (Arts & Theology) in relation to the specific needs of the Faculty.
- Provide secretarial and administrative support to the Faculty
- Assist with document preparation and collation for accreditations and advisory committees
- Take minutes of relevant Faculty committees e.g., Staff Meetings, Faculty Examination Board meetings
- Perform support functions for permanent and contracted academic staff of the Faculty including photocopying, word-processing and document-preparation, spreadsheets and PowerPoint presentations
- Prepare examination papers and unit outlines for academic staff
- Produce unit rolls and timetables for the Faculty
- Assist the academic staff responsible for study tour units operated by the Faculty in preparing the tour unit programs and travel bookings
- Produce faculty-based publications and arrange for related advertising and distribution
- Provide administrative support to the Head of Discipline, Humanities & Creative Arts
- Assist in preparing course advice documentation
- Prepare and organise necessary information, timesheets and keys for sessional staff
- Provide Moodle support and rollover for the Faculty
- Create the timetable for the Discipline of Humanities and Creative Arts
- Other administrative tasks as requested by the Faculty Officer or Head of School
Position ContextThe Faculty or Arts, Nursing & Theology is comprised of three Discipline areas: Discipline of Humanities and Creative Arts, Discipline of Nursing, and the Discipline of Ministry & Theology (Avondale Seminary). The Faculty operates under the leadership of a single Dean
The Discipline of Ministry & Theology and the Discipline of Humanities and Creative Arts are based on the Lake Macquarie campus. The Discipline of Nursing is predominantly based on the Sydney campus. Within the combined Faculty unit each Discipline with have a Head of Discipline. The Faculty and Disciplines within the Faculty are also supported by a Faculty Officer (Lake Macquarie) and a Faculty Manager (Sydney). The Faculty Officer, Arts & Theology, will supervise all support staff within the Faculty on the Lake Macquarie campus, including this administrative position.
- A willingness to strongly support the mission, values, and ethos of Avondale and the Seventh-day Adventist Church in Australia and New Zealand
- At least a Certificate III in Business Administration plus five years working experience or equivalent OR a Certificate IV in Business Administration, secretarial or similar disciplines, or equivalent skills.
- Advanced communication and customer service skills (the appointee will be required to interact diplomatically with Avondale students, staff and administration as well as other stakeholders)
- Capacity to develop a working knowledge of Avondale’s Faculty of Arts, Nursing and Theology academic programs and procedures (demonstrated by previous experience in mastering complex information)
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent IT skills
- Demonstrated experience in managing multiple tasks with conflicting priorities
- Initiative, good judgement and problem solving ability
- Ability to exercise independent responsibility in consultation with supervisor
- Cooperate with all occupational health and safety policies and procedures related to the work being undertaken and ensure that their actions or omissions do not impact on the health and safety of others at the College. Promote a safe work place and identify unsafe practices
- Understand and support equal opportunity principles
- Experience in a Christian higher education support context
- Demonstrated experience in an office environment
- Experience making travel arrangements
- Understanding of an on-line learning environment
Key Performance Indicators
- Provide accurate, consistent, timely and effective support to the Faculty
- Timely and accurate preparation & presentation of documents such as minutes, unit outlines, examination papers and re-accreditation submissions
- Maintenance of Faculty equipment and stationery supplies in a tidy and timely fashion
- Complete the Performance Review, Planning and Professional Development (PRPPD) process annually
- Participate in organisational life by attending all staff meetings and functions as requested by supervisor
- Attend all professional development opportunities as requested by supervisor
- Raise OHS issues with supervisor