Research Support Officer
Avondale College is a Seventh-day Adventist organisation. If you are eager to utilise your skills in an organisation driven by its passion for delivering Christian tertiary education and can align with our Christian-based principles, then we would love to hear from you.
In this role you will provide general administrative support to the Colleges Research program while also undertaking secretarial functions and acting as the confidential assistant to the Vice President (Academic and Research).
Reports to: Vice President (A & R)
Applications close 8 December 2016.
Further information is available from Professor Anthony Williams, Vice President (Academic and Research) via email email@example.com
Applications, addressing the selection criteria, with contact details of at least three referees, should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or HR Officer, Avondale College, PO Box 19, Cooranbong NSW 2265, (02) 4980 2284.
Avondale College is an equal opportunity employer and reserves the right to make a delayed appointment, not to appoint, or to appoint by invitation.
Position PurposeThe Research Support Officer for the office of the Vice President (Academic & Research (A & R) will provide general administrative support to the Colleges Research program while also undertaking secretarial functions and acting as the confidential assistant to the Vice President. This position will exercise substantial responsibility and independent initiative with a requisite knowledge of the academic program of the institution and the office procedures of the Vice President.
Research Service Office Support
- Manage the Research Office with its functions of Higher Degrees by Research (HDR) and Research Grant administration. This involves liaising with both staff and students.
- Coordinate administrative processes relating to staff development, research and ranking.
- As delegated by the Vice President (A & R), coordinate arrangements for research course accreditations.
- Provide administrative/project support to the office of the Vice President (A & R).
- Under delegation of the Vice President (A & R), manage, lead and control the activities/projects of the office of the Vice President, liaising with internal and external personnel and organizations as required.
- Perform clerical functions on behalf of the Vice President (A & R), including coordination of appointments, drafting of correspondence, minutes, expense payments, management of stationery and office equipment, filing and archiving.
- Coordinate meetings and committees as required.
- Arrange and coordinate special functions as required by the Vice President (A & R).
- Maintain the records of the office of the Vice President (A & R).
- Under delegation of the Vice President (A & R), coordinate the logistics of specified programs and projects.
- Carry out other responsibilities as delegated by the Vice President (A & R).
- Recognised studies in business administration, secretarial or similar disciplines or equivalent experience.
- Significant previous experience in a position of substantial responsibility
- Additionally, a minimum of two (2) years work experience in an executive office environment
- Advanced communication skills (the appointee will be required to interact diplomatically with Avondale staff and administration, and with high-level personnel in universities and government)
- Capacity to develop a working knowledge of Avondale's academic programs and procedures (demonstrated by previous experience in mastering complex information)
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent IT skills
- Demonstrated experience in managing multiple tasks with conflicting priorities
- Initiative, good judgment and problem solving ability
- Ability to exercise independent responsibility in consultation with supervisor
- Cooperate with all occupational health & safety policies and procedures related to the work being undertaken and ensure that their actions or omissions do not impact on the health and safety of others at the College. Promote a safe work place and identify unsafe practices.
- Understand and support equal opportunity principles
- Supportive of the mission, values, and ethos of Avondale College
- Experience with Quality Management processes
- Ability to use spreadsheets and web databases
- Relevant Tertiary qualifications
- Advanced IT skills
- Exposure to and/or experience in a higher education administrative environment
- Other professional experience
Key Performance Indicators
- Provide accurate, consistent, timely and effective administrative support to the Vice President
- Provide timely and efficient management of responsibilities relating to committees of the VP (A & R), staff development and research, HDR student processes, the Opening Convocation, graduation, and other areas of responsibility delegated by the VP (A & R).
- Completes the performance appraisal process annually.
- Participates in organisational life by attending all staff meetings and functions as requested by your supervisor.
- Attend all professional development opportunities as requested by the supervisor.