Diploma of General StudiesThe Diploma of General Studies (DGS) program provides individual help with:
- Critical thinking
- Essay and assignment writing
- Managing a study program
- Other academic skills.
Students qualify to enter a degree program by demonstrating satisfactory progress in the Diploma of General Studies. Students using the DGS as a pathway to a degree take their relevant academic credits with them when they transfer to a degree course.
At a Glance
DurationOne year full-time (two semesters) or part-time equivalent leading to the award of Diploma of General Studies. It is not necessary to complete the Diploma of General Studies course before applying to start a degree course at Avondale. Students may qualify to enter a Bachelor degree by demonstrating satisfactory performance in the diploma and obtaining at least the minimum score required in basic tests of literacy and numeracy.
Mode of DeliveryOn campus (Lake Macquarie)
AccreditationAvondale is a self-accrediting higher education institution and the Diploma of General Studies course is offered within the terms of the Australian Qualifications Framework. It is nationally registered with the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency.
The CRICOS registration number for the Diploma of General Studies is: 057321A
Entry RequirementsAvondale's Diploma of General Studies is designed to cater primarily for students who have completed the final year of high school (e.g. year 12 Australia, year 13 New Zealand) with an ATAR of 45 (or equivalent) or higher, but not sufficient for entry into a degree course.
Special consideration may be given to those unable to meet the normal requirements, especially those who have been disadvantaged in some way. You may demonstrate suitability for higher education by:
- Completing the uniTEST/TOWA exam, if eligible
- providing a recommendation from your Year 12 school Principal (or Principal’s nominee)
- providing report/s of your most recent educational attainment
- providing reference/s from relevant industry/work experience
- undertaking an interview with the Diploma of General Studies Course Convenor
- completing online testing with Avondale.
Detailed information on alternate admission is available from Avondale Admissions.
Entry Requirements for International Students
Applicants from a country where English is not the first language must demonstrate English language proficiency. For full details see the Admission to Undergraduate Courses policy.
International applicants are also required to satisfy Australian Government visa requirements.
Course Information BookletFor more details on the content of this course please download the following booklet:
Diploma of General Studies
To view PDF documents on this website you will need to install Adobe Reader.
Testimonials‘The Diploma of General Studies is a great opportunity for anyone wanting to start studying a degree course at Avondale. Whether you're a mature age student, straight out of high school or have recently completed a certificate course, you will love the General Studies program.' - Joel Heise
- Most students continue on to complete degrees in Nursing, Education, Theology, Arts, Business and Science at Avondale or other institutions.
- Graduates have found employment in hospitals, schools, offices, churches and other work places in Australia and overseas.