Equity: A fair go for allThe Equity Office supports enrolled Avondale students and staff with a disability, medical condition, or those who perceive they have been discriminated against. Avondale endorses the Disability Discrimination Act (1992) and does not “discriminate against a person on the grounds of disability.
This support includes:
- Caring for those with permanent or temporary disabilities or medical conditions
- Caring for those from countries and cultures or those with English as a second language
- Addressing gender issues
- Working through grievances
Equity Support Services
Equity officerThe Equity Officer is available for students with a disability, language difficulty or medical conditions who are seeking support.
Location:The Equity Office is located in Upper College Hall on Avondale’s Lake Macquarie campus. The Equity Officer is on the Sydney campus 3 or 4 times each semester. For further details see Laurel Raethel, Faculty Officer, Nursing Discipline.
Map: Lake Macquarie Campus
ClassworkAny student with a disability or chronic health condition who may require reasonable learning and/or assessment adjustments in this unit is requested to seek advice and/or assistance from the Avondale Equity Officer at the commencement of the teaching period. (see Disability Policy)
Where special adjustments are required the Equity Officer discusses these with the student and assists him/her to prepare a Learning Access Plan which is then communicated with the relevant Faculty Officer and lecturer/s to determine the student’s specific requirements and appropriate options.
Exam conditionsAvondale makes provision, where required, to modify learning and examination conditions for students who have a permanent or temporary disability supported by official documentation. Contact the Equity Officer to apply for reasonable adjustments. Applications are due in the first few weeks of semester. Except in extenuating circumstances, the deadline for applying for provisions (support) in examinations is before publication of the first draft of the examination timetable. The deadline for semester one is early April and for semester two is mid-September.
Failure to contact the Equity Officer by the deadline may result in limited support.
Disability Services LibrarianStudents with a disability or medical condition who are seeking access to library services should contact Avondale Libraries’ disability services librarian. Visit the "Patrons with special needs" page of the Avondale Libraries website for more information.
Tutoring ServicesStudents requiring essay writing, literacy, numeracy and referencing tuition have access to academic tutoring services on the Lake Macquarie and Sydney campuses.
Registration Support ProcedureProspective and current students with a disability are encouraged to notify the Equity Officer of their disability prior to the commencement of each relevant teaching period or each semester. This can be done by:
- A declaration on the enrolment form;
- Submitting a disability support application
- Contacting the Equity Officer in a timely manner (see Equity Officer);
- Providing relevant and appropriate Medical Practitioner documentation (See Guide for the Verification of a Disability or Medical Condition; Medical Practitioner Report Form);
- Preparation of a Learning Access Plan with the Equity Officer (See Disability Policy) .
- If enrolled in the Nursing Program ensure you have read and satisfy the Inherent Requirement set out in the Avondale College Policy (see below).
PoliciesStudent Grievance and Appeals Policy
Bullying and Harassment Policy
Inherent Requirements for Nursing Program