Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies
|Course duration /|
Course duration: One year part-time
Avondale's Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies provides advanced training in educational theory, practice and research with focus on the professional, ethical, moral and spiritual dimensions of education. The emphasis of the degree is towards improving the professional competency of practicing educators in independent and government schools. In the face of rapid socioeconomic changes and societal expectations, the professional development of teachers is now viewed by many as not just an important ongoing process, but an essential requirement.
Studies are available in four specialisations:
- Curriculum and Teaching Studies
- Educational Administration
- Religious Education
- Special Education
Applicants who are Adventist Schools Australia employees may seek sponsorship for tuition only or educational administration tuition and expenses. For further information about scholarships contact Adventist Schools Australia.
The Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies is a four-unit course; three of which must come from one of the specialisations. Students enrolled in the Master of Education can choose to exit with a Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies after successful completion of the four units.
Upon successful completion of the Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies, graduates will be able to:
- systematically explore educational theory and practice through a review of educational literature and shared praxis;
- investigate and critically analyse both the theory and practice of education with respect to a particular topic or issue;
- create a holistic personal professional body of knowledge that will be appraised from a Christian world-view;
- solve problems through investigation, critical analysis and reflective thought;
- explain aspects of educational practice on the basis of knowledge and research findings;
- give evidence of an ability to fill organisational roles which require highly developed interpersonal skills;
- display appropriate decision making skills within the context of Christian ethics;
- identify types of research methodologies and their applicability to specified research questions;
- conduct a minor creative research study involving systematic investigation, critical and reflective thought as well as documentation.
A four-year Bachelor degree in education or equivalent, or a Bachelor degree followed by a Diploma of Education, Bachelor of Teaching or equivalent.
At least two years of experience in a teaching role.
Overseas students will have their qualifications assessed by Avondale Admissions.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
Applicants whose Bachelor degree was not undertaken in English must demonstrate English language proficiency by achieving an IELTS Academic score of at least 6.5 for speaking and listening, with no individual band score less than 6.0. An official statement of IELTS results must accompany the application form. Preference will be given to applicants with employment experience in education and applicants should include a written summary of their work experience with the application form.
Course Duration: One year part-time if taking a load of four units. The units are offered over a one year teaching period and full time enrolment is not available. Part-time students typically progress at the rate of two units per year over two years. Maximum course duration is Three years.
All units are worth 6 credit points (unless otherwise specified). One unit must be taken from the Christian Education unit options and either (a) three units from within a specialisation, or (b) two units from within a specialisation plus an independent research unit related to the specialisation. The course has four areas of specialisation:
Curriculum and Teaching Studies
Course Structure Credit Points
Christian Education Unit (Core Unit) - 6.0
Specialisation Unit 1 - 6.0
Specialisation Unit 2 - 6.0
Specialisation Unit 3, or an independent research project (in the respective specialisation) - 6.0
To find out more about any of the units listed here, copy the unit code and then search for that unit here.
This course is accredited by the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA). In 2014 Avondale was granted self accrediting status by TEQSA.
Where to get further information
Student Administration ServicesPhone: +61 2 4980 2377
Email: [email protected]