Step 11 - Other Important Tasks

Get your Student ID card

Both On-campus and Distance students require an Avondale Student ID card.

You must present your Student ID card at Examination venues. This applies to both On-campus and Distance students.

You will also need a Student ID card to access parking, access some classrooms, access residential halls for those living on campus, access the computer labs, library services, photocopying, printing, identification for exams, meals in cafeteria (if living on campus) and you may need to use it for work commitments.

How to get your Student ID Card

On-campus Students: when you arrive at Avondale for O Week, you will have your photo taken for your Avondale Student ID card and it will be given to you once it is ready There is no cost for the card (unless you need a replacement card, so don't lose it!). Once you have you Student ID card you can complete an application form for travel concession if you meet the criteria.

Distance Students: You need to provide Avondale with a current photo of yourself (head and shoulders), preferably on a plain background in a jpeg format and email it to A Student ID card will then be made and sent to you.

Replacement Cards

On-campus Students, living in Lake Macquarie Campus residence halls:If your card is lost or stolen, report it immediately to Student Services and/or relevant Residence Manager who will deactivate your card so no-one else can use it.
To replace your card, go to or email Student Life Services ( and pay $30. Your new card will be issued once payment has been made.
Distance and On-campus students living off campus:To replace your card, go to or email Student Life Services ( and pay $30. Your new card will be issued once payment has been made.

Travel Concessions (Australian citizens only)

Student Services issue NSW Transport application forms on behalf of NSW Transport. Travel concessions are only available to students who meet the criteria.

1. You are an Australian citizen or permanent resident
2. You are a full-time student enrolled on an internal basis (this means you are studying on-campus)

Australian citizens can apply for an Opal card on the 'Opal' website if they meet this criteria (see after a couple of weeks of enrolling.

Opal Card

For students who don't meet the criteria for a concession opal card, you can still go to the Opal website ( and apply for an adult opal card.


Moodle is the learning management system used at Avondale to provide students with access to key online learning resources and activities. You MUST log into Moodle to obtain the Unit Outline for each unit in which you are enrolled. Unit Outlines are normally available in Moodle from 2 weeks prior the commencement of the unit. Active participation and interaction in online components of units is essential for all students as many key resources and instructions are only available in Moodle. Students are encouraged to orientate themselves with the Moodle presence for all units in which they are enrolled early in each semester/teaching period. Contact your lecturer or IT services if you have difficulties accessing Moodle.


Turnitin is a web-based tool through which assignments can be submitted to allow a text-matching service.It links added to Moodle to allow both students and lecturers to assess the originality of academic assignments. A Turnitin similarity report provides feedback to students by indicating how much unoriginal content is present in a submission by comparing it with internet pages, other student submissions and academic articles and assists to avoid plagiarism.

A range of information skills tutorials are available online and from the Avondale University College Library website.

Other Useful Information

Health Care

Medicare is Australia's universal health scheme. It is a Commonwealth government program that guarantees all citizens access to a wide range of health services at little or no cost.

To check if you are eligible for Medicare, click here.

For information about what Medicare covers, click here.

Private Health Insurance is also an option and there are several providers. For example, ACA Health Benefits Fund is available to students who are connected to the Seventh-day Adventist Church and/or its associated entities.