Centre for Advancement of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
About CASTLThe Centre for Advancement of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (CASTL) was established in 2015 to enhance the scholarship of undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and learning in on-campus, blended and online contexts. In supporting and advancing Avondale’s typology of scholarship, CASTL's scholarly activities are focused on the following four areas:
- Professional learning;
- Community of practice;
- Education research and dissemination;
- Wellbeing, spirituality and faith.
The CASTL's reach extends to providing activities and resources to academic staff for educational research into teaching and discipline-based scholarship, and to support student learning in face-to-face, online and blended learning contexts.
CASTL's current priorities include:
- National and international research partnerships and collaborations;
- Online and blended teaching and learning pedagogy and practice;
- Postgraduate and supervision training.
GovernanceThe Centre for Advancement of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (CASTL) is governed by the CASTL Board.
Professional DevelopmentIn addition to on-campus and Zoom professional learning and community of practice events, online tutorials are available on Avondale’s Learning Management System Moodle’s Little Helper to support academic staff and sessional lecturers. For additional Moodle training please contact the eLearning support officer Chris Boddey at email@example.com.
Further professional learning opportunities and digital support training are available through Avondale library and these include:
- Referencing using Endnote for students and staff;
- Advanced Research Skills: Locating and searching academic resources for students and staff;
- Referencing using Zotero for students and staff;
- Advanced Research Skills: Locating and searching academic resources for students and staff.