Safety and WelfareWe are here to help you work through unexpected problems that sometimes catch you by surprise. Whether you need help with accommodation, financial assistance, health issues or interpersonal conflict there are many different ways we may be able to assist.
Health and Well-being
Safety and Security
Safer CommunitiesAvondale is committed to enabling a safe, inclusive and respectful community.
This website contains content that may be distressing to some readers. Relevant support services are listed on each page.
What are sexual offences?Sexual offences can be described as a broad range of sexual behaviours by another person that can make
you feel uncomfortable, frightened or threatened. Sexual offences include rape and sexual assault.
DefinitionsRape is defined as occurring when:
- Person-A intentionally sexually penetrates Person-B
- Person-B does not consent to the penetration
- Person-A does not reasonably believe that Person-B consents to the penetration.
Sexual assault is defined as occurring when:
- Person-A intentionally sexually touches Person-B
- Person-B does not consent to the touching
- Person-A does not reasonably believe that Person-B consents to the touching.
Consent is free agreement, which cannot be given if a person:
- is forced, or in fear of force or harm of any type
- is unlawfully detained
- is asleep or unconscious, or is so intoxicated as to be incapable of consenting
- is mistaken about the sexual nature of the act or identity of any other person involved
- mistakenly believes that the act is for medical or hygienic purposes
- is not saying or doing anything to indicate consent
- gives consent and later withdraws it to the act taking place or continuing.
Source: Crimes Amendment (Sexual Offences) Act (2016)
For immediate, 24/7 helpFor Lake Macquarie Campus Security phone 02 4980 2333 (24/7)
For Sydney Campus Security phone 02 9487 9988 (24/7)
Off campus, call Emergency Services (Police and Ambulance) on 000.
Additional help and information
For Avondale University HelpTo report a sexual assault and seek support contact Laurel Raethel (Director of Student Administration Services) [email protected] Phone +61 2 4980 2127.
For other support available see options outlined at this link: https://www.avondale.edu.au/students/student-support/counselling/
External Services1800RESPECT (1800 737 732)
A 24-hour helpline offering support to support impacted by sexual assault, domestic or family violence and abuse.
In an emergency, dial 000.
Lifeline provides anyone experiencing a personal crisis with access to online, phone, and face-to-face crisis support and suicide prevention services 24 hour a day, 7 days a week.
NSW Rape Crisis
NSW Rape Crisis is the 24/7 telephone and online crisis counselling service for anyone in NSW - men and women - who has experienced or is at risk of sexual assault.