BOOK CHAPTER - Research (B1)Book Chapter Reporting Form
DefinitionA B1 book chapter is a contribution, consisting substantially of new material, to an edited compilation in which the material is subject to editorial scrutiny.
- Must meet the definition of research
- have an International Standard Book Number (ISBN)
- has been published by a commercial publisher or if not published by a commercial publisher, must have been peer reviewed.
- the author must be affiliated with the claiming institution (Avondale)
- a scholarly introduction of chapter length to an edited volume, where the content of the introduction reports research and makes a substantial contribution to a defined area of knowledge
- a critical scholarly text of chapter length, e.g. in music, medieval or classical texts
- critical reviews of current research.
ExclusionsUnless they meet all of the criteria for inclusion, the following book chapters should be excluded:
- textbook chapters
- entries in reference books
- revisions of chapters in edited books
- brief introductions
- brief editorials
- literary or creative pieces such as collections of short stories; and
- translations (unless they have a major demonstrable original research component).
Research Point Value1 research point
BOOK CHAPTER - Other (B2)
This category refers to a contribution of a substantial work of scholarship, consisting substantially of new material
Types of book chapters that may meet the criteria include:
- Chapters in textbooks (consisting mainly of new combinations of existing knowledge or updating of a body of established knowledge to make it more readily accessible) aimed primarily at a higher education audience
- Chapters in books published by private individuals, university departments and privately funded companies, e.g. "vanity presses"
- Chapters in translations of published books and other authored books or monographs not classified in A1
- Creative works such as novels, depending mainly upon the imagination of the author rather than upon a publicly accessible body of agreed fact (possibly J1)
- Chapters in textbooks that are primarily aimed at secondary, primary or pre-school students (excluded completely)