Graduate Diploma of Leadership and Management
|Course duration /|
Course Duration: 2 years part-time (the course is not offered full-time)
|Location||Avondale Campus - Lake Macquarie|
The Graduate Diploma of Leadership and Management (GradDipLead&Mgmt) course provides an opportunity for those in leadership and management positions to further their study in this area within the context of a Christian framework. The challenge of leadership and management in various types of organisations has become more demanding and complex. Adapting to rapidly changing business environments calls for a more sophisticated set of skills and abilities from leaders and managers. Church-related, not-for-profit organisations and other organisations require effective leadership informed by the social sciences and a developing body of knowledge, concerning management, leadership and organisations.
The GradDipLead&Mgmt focusses on providing advanced training in management theory and practice, emphasising the ethical, moral and spiritual dimensions of leadership and management.
Changing environments and new challenges require innovative approaches informed by current philosophies and frameworks for action. While traditional ways of thinking and acting in leadership may have worked well in the past, now there is a need for leadership to project a vision, plan strategically and motivate more effectively. The quest for excellence and the demand for flexibility and rapid response to changing environments is as essential for the success of organisations and companies.
Offering quality education in graduate studies, Avondale University College is responding to the need of the Seventh-day Adventist Church and other church-related organisations for effective leaders and managers. The courses however will also work in other sectors. Other individuals interested generally in the study of Leadership and Management in the context of Christian values may also find the course appropriate to their needs.
Upon successful completion of the Graduate Diploma of Leadership and Management, graduates will be able to:
- demonstrate insights and perceptions of managerial conduct which integrate theoretical foundations with organisational needs, leadership and management practice in church organisations, professional trends, and factors affecting contemporary management thinking and practice;
- create a personal professional body of knowledge from a holistic perspective, focussing on attitudes, values and actions applied in a Christian managerial environment;
- display personal effectiveness and efficiency in leadership and management practice;
- explore and apply a systematic approach to the study of leadership and management in a church context and review management literature; develop a maturing recognition of the relevance and values of well reasoned literature, in the advancement of sound academic based practice;
- investigate and critically analyse the nature, the scientific, behavioural, administrative and quantitative foundation of leadership and management related topics, and apply relevant concepts to the practice of effective and efficient leadership and management in the workplace;
- apply and practice specific management activities through a critical analysis of professional practices, standards and current organisational and societal needs.
Leadership & Management graduates leave with the skills for potential employment in the following areas:
- Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
- Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
- Senior Executive and Administrators
- Company Secretary
GENERAL ADMISSION CRITERIATo qualify for admission, you must have completed:
- An Australian Qualifications Framework AQF Level 7 Bachelor's degree (or higher) from an accredited university or higher education provider; or
- An overseas qualification comparable to an Australian Qualifications Framework AQF Level 7 or higher
In exceptional circumstances, you may be admitted based on equivalent qualifications as assessed by the School's Learning and Teaching Committee.
SPECIFIC ADMISSION CRITERIAThe following are the specific criteria for admission:
- A resume/CV to demonstrate at least two years of experience in a leadership or management role, including a written summary of your relevant work experience
ADVANCED STANDINGApplicants with an Australian Qualifications Framework AQF Level 8 qualification (or higher) in a cognate area may be eligible for advanced standing (credit recognition). Refer to the Advanced Standing Policy for more information.
INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTSInternational applicants must meet the Australian Government's visa requirements to reside in Australia while studying at Avondale University.
For more information, visit https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-finder/study
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTSApplicant's who completed their bachelor's degree (or overseas equivalent) in a language other than English must demonstrate English language proficiency by achieving a minimum IELTS score of 6.5 overall with no sub-band below 6.0.
Course Duration: Two years part-time (the course is not offered full-time).
Study Mode: Distance education and a residential on-campus component may be required for some units
Maximum Time to Complete: 4 years.
This is an eight-unit study program as follows.
Eight Units must be completed as follows:
- 3 Core Units
- 4 Discipline specific units
- 1 Elective
The following 3 units are required core units:
- LAMC50600 The Theology, Theory and Practice of Leadership
- LAMC50000 Introduction to Research
- LAMR59200 Independent Research Project
DISCIPLINE SPECIFIC UNITS:
Students must complete 4 units from the list below:
- LAMC51100 Leadership and Organisation
- LAMC51200 Communication for Leaders
- LAMC51600 Organisational Processes and Change
- LAMC51400 Human Resource Management
- LAMC52400 Managerial and Professional Ethics
- LAMC52100 Marketing Management
- LAMC52300 Strategic Planning for Leadership
- LAMC52600 Accounting for Leaders
- LAMC52800 Legal and Governance Issues for Managers
An elective may be drawn from the Discipline Specific units listed above.
To find out more about any of the units listed here, copy the unit code and then search for that unit here.
Avondale University College is a self-accrediting Higher Education Provider, and the Graduate Diploma in Leadership and Management course is offered within the terms of the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF). In 2014 Avondale was granted self-accrediting status by the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA), and in 2019 was granted University College status.
Where to get further information
Student Administration ServicesPhone: +61 2 4980 2377
Email: [email protected]