Diploma of Business
International students must be at least 18 years of age before they arrive at Avondale ahead of the relevant teaching period commencing to be eligible for enrolment at Avondale University.
|Course duration /|
Course duration: One year full-time (or part-time equivalent)*
|Location||Avondale Campus - Lake Macquarie|
The Diploma of Business is a tertiary pathway course for students seeking alternative entry to the Bachelor of Business degree or for students who want a diploma to help develop their general business skills whether in their current workplace or for future employment.
The units provide an opportunity for the honing of higher-level thinking skills, including critical reading, writing, literacy and oral communication skills in business. This allows students to build their business knowledge base in the areas of accounting, human resource management, marketing and business administration, adding both width and depth, and clarifying their values.
The course is suitable for recent school leavers who have not achieved the required entry-level ATAR (or equivalent), including those with no ATAR. It is also an option for mature age students seeking alternative entry to a Bachelor of Business degree.
Upon completion of the Diploma of Business students will be entitled to eight (8) credited units in the Bachelor of Business degree, which is equivalent to the first-year completion of the Bachelor of Business degree.
Upon successful completion of the Diploma of Business, graduates will be able to:
- demonstrate a broad theoretical knowledge of business studies and the business environment;
- apply skills of analysis, synthesis, evaluation and research to the business environment;
- exhibit skills of problem recognition and problem-solving;
- demonstrate efficient and effective decision-making skills in business;
- apply the ability to work cooperatively in a team as well as to show individual initiative;
- communicate ideas orally, in written form and through information technologies.
Upon successful completion of the Diploma of Business, students can choose to continue their studies in the Bachelor of Business or use their skills for employment opportunities. These may include:
GENERAL ADMISSION CRITERIATo qualify for admission, you must meet one of the following criteria:
Applicants with vocational education and training (VET) study
- An Australian Qualifications Framework AQF Level 4 qualification or higher; or
- A New Zealand Qualifications Framework NZQF Level 4 qualification or higher
Applicants with recent secondary education (within the past two years)
- A Selection Rank of 45.00 or above after adjustment factors are applied; or
- Equivalent overseas secondary qualifications as stated in Appendix 1 of the Admission to Higher Education Undergraduate Courses Policy
Applicants with work and life experience
- An ATAR equal to or above 45.00
Applicants with overseas qualifications
- An overseas qualification comparable to an Australian Qualifications Framework AQF Level 4 or higher
INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTSInternational applicants must meet the Australian Government's visa requirements to reside in Australia while studying at Avondale University.
For more information, visit https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-finder/study
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTSInternational applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency in one of the ways outlined in Appendix 2 of the Admission to Higher Education Undergraduate Courses Policy.
Course duration: One year full-time (or part-time equivalent)
Study mode: On-campus or Online
Maximum Time to Complete: Four years
WHPE10101 Foundations of Wellbeing
BBUS12010 Organisations in a Business Context
BBUS16020 Introduction to Accounting
BBUS15050 Information Technology Systems in Business
BBUS16040 Introduction to Economics
BBUS14050 Business Statistics
BBUS14060 Business Law
ACCT16500 Financial Accounting and Reporting OR MKTG26000 Consumer Behaviour OR MNGT26100 Organisational Behaviour
To find out more about any of the units listed here, copy the unit code and then search for that unit here.
Avondale is a self-accrediting Higher Education Provider, and the Diploma of Business course is offered within the terms of the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF). In 2014 Avondale was granted self-accrediting status by the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA).
Where to get further information
Student Administration ServicesPhone: +61 2 4980 2377
Email: [email protected]