Master of Business Administration
|Course duration /|
Course duration: Three years part-time (the course is not offered full-time)
|Location||Avondale Campus - Lake Macquarie|
The Master of Business Administration (MBA) provides advanced training in business management. Students will learn about the ethical, moral and spiritual dimensions of leadership.
Adapting to rapidly changing business environments calls for a more sophisticated set of skills and abilities from leaders and managers. Church-related, not-for-profit organisations and other organisations require effective leaders who understand the needs of their organisations.
Upon successful completion of the Master of Business Administration, graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate insights and perceptions of managerial conduct which integrate theoretical foundations with organisational needs, leadership and management practice in church organisations, professional trends, and factors affecting contemporary management thinking and practice.
- Create a personal professional body of knowledge from a holistic perspective, focussing on attitudes, values and actions applied in a Christian managerial environment.
- Display personal effectiveness and efficiency in leadership and management practice.
- Explore and apply a systematic approach to the study of leadership and management in a church context and review management literature; develop a maturing recognition of the relevance and values of well reasoned literature, in the advancement of sound academic based practice.
- Investigate and critically analyse the nature, the scientific, behavioural, administrative and quantitative foundations of leadership and management related topics, and apply relevant concepts to the practice of effective and efficient leadership and management in the workplace.
- Apply and practice specific management activities through a critical analysis of professional practices, standards and current organisational and societal needs.
- Assume a professional leadership and management role in either religious or secular organisations, including specialist management consultation.
- Conduct in-depth creative problem-solving study involving systematic investigation and reflective though addressing particular problems or issues in the workplace.
MBA graduates develop skills for the following roles:
- Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
- Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
- Chief Information Officer (CIO)
- Senior Executivews and Administrators
- Company Secretary
- Finance Manager
- Hospital Administrator
- Advertising Manager
- Human Resources Manager
- Sales Manager
- Director of Operations
GENERAL ADMISSION CRITERIATo qualify for admission, you must have completed:
- An Australian Qualifications Framework AQF Level Bachelor's degree from an accredited university or higher education provider; or
- An Australian Qualifications Framework AQF Level 8 graduate certificate or diploma in leadership and management or equivalent from an accredited university or higher education provider; or
- An overseas qualification comparable to an Australian Qualifications Framework AQF Level 7 or higher
In exceptional circumstances, you may be admitted based on equivalent qualifications as assessed by the School's Learning and Teaching Committee.
SPECIFIC ADMISSION CRITERIAThe following are the specific criteria for admission:
- A resume/CV to demonstrate at least two years of experience in a leadership or management role, including a written summary of your relevant work experience
ADVANCED STANDINGApplicants with an Australian Qualifications Framework AQF Level 9 qualification (or higher) in a cognate area may be eligible for advanced standing (credit recognition). Refer to the Advanced Standing Policy for more information.
INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTSThe Master of Business Administration is available to domestic students and international students studying outside of Australia. The course is unavailable to international students in Australia on a student visa.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTSApplicant's who completed their bachelor's degree (or overseas equivalent) in a language other than English must demonstrate English language proficiency by achieving a minimum IELTS score of 6.5 overall with no sub-band below 6.0.
Course duration: Three years part time (the course is not offered full time).
Study mode: Distance education and an on-campus residential may be required for some units
Maximum time to complete: 5 years
This is a twelve-unit study program offered in two patterns. Pattern 1 consists of course work and an independent project and Pattern 2 consists of course work and a major research project.
All units are worth 6 credit points (unless otherwise specified).
The following units are required for both Patterns 1 & 2:
- LAMC50600 The Theology, Theory and Practice of Leadership
- LAMC50000 Introduction to Research
DISCIPLINE SPECIFIC UNITS:
Pattern 1 must complete 6 units from the list below, and Pattern 2 must complete 5 units from the list below:
- LAMC51100 Leadership and Organisation
- LAMC51200 Communication for Leaders
- LAMC51600 Organisational Processes and Change
- LAMC51400 Human Resource Management
- LAMC52400 Managerial and Professional Ethics
- LAMC52100 Marketing Management
- LAMC52300 Strategic Planning for Leadership
- LAMC52600 Accounting for Leaders
- LAMC52800 Legal and Governance Issues for Managers
RESEARCH PROJECT UNITS:
Pattern 1 must also complete a research project from the list below:
Choice between a 6 credit point or a 12 credit point research project
- LAMR59200 Independent Research Project (6 credit points)
- LAMR59300 Extended Independent Research Project (12 credit points)
Pattern 2 must also complete the following major research project
- LAMR59400 Major Research Project (18 credit points project)
Electives may be drawn from the Discipline Specific units listed above, or other disciplines (on approval from the Course Convenor).
To find out more about any of the units listed here, copy the unit code and then search for that unit here.
Avondale is a University College, and the Master of Business Administration course is offered within the terms of the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF). In 2014 Avondale was granted self-accrediting status by the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA), and in 2019 was granted University College status.
Where to get further information
Student Administration ServicesPhone: +61 2 4980 2377
Email: [email protected]