The Tom Ludowici Bioethics Collection
The Tom Ludowici Bioethics Collection is housed in the Avondale Sydney Library and is one of the largest single collections of bioethics books in Australia. Click here
for a more detailed history of the collection.
Subject areas covered in the collection include:
- philosophy of biology, medicine and health
- nursing ethics
- science/technology and society
- codes of professional ethics
- sociology of medicine
- professional/patient relationships
- health care
- reproduction/reproductive technologies
- genetics, molecular biology and microbiology
- environmental quality
- neurosciences and mental health therapies
- human experimentation
- artificial and transplanted organs/tissues
- death and dying
- international/political dimensions of biology and medicine
- animal welfare
The major topics in the collection are medical and nursing ethics, abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering (including cloning), and stem cell research.
As of 2016 there were 7,500 books and 8 print journal subscriptions in the collection.